Electrical fire safety in our homes claim over 280 lives a year and injure at least a 1,000 more. Often these fires are caused from electrical failures and many others can be caused from wiring that is installed incorrectly or circuits that are overloaded as well as bad extension cords.
Fires that are caused electrical distribution are caused from problems that have “fixed wiring” like bad electrical outlets and old worn out wiring. Cords on appliances and extension cords with worn plugs and electrical items with worn switches can cause many of these fires.
Faulty light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs can also cause electrical fires.
The misuse of electric cords like overloading a circuit, bad maintenance and running cords under rugs in areas of high traffic are also hazards.
Fire Safety Tips:
During a normal year, electrical problems in the home causes over 26,000 fires and at least one billion dollars in property loss and almost one half of all the residential electrical fires are caused from faulty wiring.
This is why fire safety is essential in order to keep both your home and your families safe from such damage and trauma.
Also, make sure that you have a smoke alarm that works. The alarm will increase your chances of surviving a house fire. Also make sure that you have a home escape plan and you know how to use it.
- Check your appliances and wiring on a routine basis. Make sure to replace any worn out, old or damaged cords on your appliances right away. Never try to repair them yourself.
- Only buy those appliances that have a label on them that has a recognized testing lab displayed.
- Never use an extension cord for large or small appliances. Make sure they are plugged right into the outlet. Always unplug small appliances when you are not using them.
- Get a new electric tool if it causes any shocks, overheats or shorts out when you are using it.
- Only use surge protectors and power strips that have an internal overload protection system and has a testing lab label on it.
- Keep all clothes and curtains and other flammable items at least three feet away from any space heaters.
- Only use light bulbs with the wattage that is recommended by the lamp.
- Don't put your electric cords where they can get pinched or crimped by furniture, under carpets or across any doorways.
- Use extension cords for temporary use and contact a professional to determine if you need additional circuits installed.
- Have electrical work done only by a professional.